Monday, April 29, 2013

The Skinny on being Skinny


"People have really odd opinions. They tell me I'm skinny, as if that's supposed to make me happy." -Angelina Jolie


This is my sister. And she is beautiful. She is strong, independent, stubborn, goofy, and in every way I strive to be like her.

Yesterday we spent a day at the beach, enjoying live music and good food while soaking up the sun. It officially felt like summer. Heading back from one of our many trips to the bathroom (I don't know what it is about the beach that makes you have to pee every 10 minutes), we passed by a couple walking in the opposite direction. I must not have been paying attention because once they had passed by, Jenna looked up and said, "Did you hear what she said to me?"
"No," I replied. "What did she say?"
Jenna didn't answer as we continued our walk to our towels. Once we sat down I looked over and immediately knew something was wrong.  Through tears, Jenna said, "That girl looked at me and went ' UGH! WAY TOO SKINNY!' ". 
Immediately, I stood up.
"Where is she? What did she look like? I'll go shut her up!" 

Right, okay Christen. I weight about 120 and don't intimidate anybody. 

But still, I was ticked. Who thinks they have the right to say something like that? I don't go around looking at overweight people and saying "Ugh, too fat!" or looking at people with different hair or different skin and saying "Ugh, too ugly!" 

My sister has always been small. She is 5'6, and has weighed about 90-100 pounds for most of her grown up years. That's just the way she is. She eats like a horse, and doesn't gain a pound. It's unfair really. Share some of your fast metabolism with the rest of us, dangit! 
She has good genetics. I mean, I've had the pleasure of getting the nickname "Chicken legs" for my ridiculously skinny legs. Thank you. People are so nice. 

But regardless, why are people so set on tearing people down about their image? Jenna doesn't starve herself ( believe me, I live with her and she eats more than I do!), and she is one of the most beautiful, genuine people with one of the biggest hearts. 

I think people are critical of others when they want to be like them. Jenna is naturally tall and skinny, she eats what she wants, she doesn't starve herself, and she is beautiful. 
So why are people allowed to "love their curves" but its wrong for her to love her bones? Why is it okay for you to call her "anorexic", but horrible for her if she calls you fat? If you can tell her to "gain weight" , why can't she tell you to lose weight? 

If you can feel beautiful for being big, she can feel beautiful for being small.

Get over it. Some people are born skinny, and that's just the way it is. You can't point a finger at them and say their ill or anorexic. 

1 Samuel 16:7- But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."

Song of Songs 6:7 - "But my dove, my perfect one, is unique."

Psalm 139: 13-15- For you created me my inmost being: you knit me together in my mother's womb. I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful. I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place.

Jenna, I love you. And if ANYONE ever tries to mess with you again, I got your back man.

No comments:

Post a Comment